Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Turning a Whine Into a Smile


Have you ever had one of those days when your little one just won't stop whining? You know....when every request is intense and needs immediate attention, every bump or mishap is a catastrophe, and every sound out of his mouth is an ear-piercing pitch that grates on the nerves? Those are hard times!

When Munchkin is in one of these moods, my patience wanes with each whine. Still, I try hard to figure out what's bothering him so I can meet whatever unmet need is haunting him (or help him cope without it). Sometimes it's something obvious like teething or illness, but there are plenty of times when I'm not sure what's going on with him.  

I guess some of the stuff I've been reading from Aha!Parenting really works because I recently figured out that I could stop the whining when its cause is not physical. I did this by helping him feel connected, competent, and accepted. It was incredibly simple. 

First, I took a moment to re-center myself. I was getting flustered with the whining, so this was a crucial first step. I have a favorite chair where I go for deep breathing...it works magic! One thought that really helps me is to remember that it's not his fault he's cranky. He's just a little kid, a toddler with immature coping skills. After relaxing into myself, I could then think clearly and act with compassion, rather than react with irritation.

Next, I spent a few moments connecting deeply with my son. For us, this met nursing. But not just nursing. I looked him in the eye, caressed his hair, and talked to him. "Not feeling well, are you? Having a hard time? I know..." It only took a few simple words of validation. I held him close and let him feel my acceptance of his mood. Of course, genuine acceptance was crucial and I could do that once I was calm and focused.

Then I sensed that he also needed the flip side to connection: independence. All morning, Munchkin had been very sensitive about doing things himself and was getting easily frustrated when he failed. Each event spurred a new episode of tears and whining. To bolster confidence in his independence, I made a point of providing tasks for him that I knew he could accomplish...turn off the bathroom light, put an item in the trash, hold my keys, etc. Instead of lavish praise for his deeds, I sincerely thanked him as I would any person: "Oh, thank you, Munchkin! That's very helpful, I really appreciate it."

In addition, I calmly acquiesced to all kinds of strange preferences Munchkin expressed ("Not that bowl, this one"). That's right, I went against 'conventional' and mainstream advice for dealing with a whiner (check out page 2 of this Parenting article: it says to ignore the kid or the whining will get worse!). Instead of shunning my son, who was clearly upset, I "caved" by making him more comfortable. Naturally, I maintained our normal household limits, but I let him be picky and whine about the little things. Most of the time, these little things don't really matter. Giving my toddler a sense of personal power when he's feeling low does matter.

Most importantly, I didn't react negatively to his whining. I didn't tell him to say please or ask nicely. I let him know that it was hard to understand him when he whined, but I did so without shaming him or acting irritated (only possible when I'm calm and centered!). I didn't get annoyed or take it personally when he became insistent. I didn't withhold love or privileges or fulfillment of reasonable requests. I firmly stood my ground: the ground where I'm on his side, where I assure his safety, where I love him unconditionally, where I accept his whining.

And then he stopped whining. For good.

Just like that. Incredible! All I had to do was genuinely connect with him, provide him with the opportunity to exhibit competence, and truly accept his foul mood. For me, the real key was centering myself. The rest came easily from the place of peace I'd created within myself. 

Why did these strategies work? I think it's because gentle, unconditional parenting really is effective. Maybe Munchkin's cause for whining had been emotional pain. Maybe he missed me (he'd spent the first hour of the day with Papa while I got to sleep in). Maybe he was feeling incapable in this big world where Mama, Papa, and the big kids can do all that cool stuff (we'd met some new playmates a few days prior). Maybe he felt left out or ignored (Papa isn't as playful in the morning).

Whatever it was, I managed to get through to him and help him out of it. He was able to re-center himself, too. Best of all, he knows that when he's hurting inside, he can rely on me to help him through it. I won't demand a change in behavior without considering his needs, no matter how annoying that behavior is.

And for the record, no, the whining did not get worse or return. His whines turned into smiles and we enjoyed the rest of the day together. Since then, he has not "tried to use whining to get his way". Conventional parenting wisdom debunked! Not surprising, though. When my son whines, he's not trying to annoy me or manipulate me. He's trying to ask for something but doesn't have the words to do so. I'm glad I listened.

Now, if I could just apply this gentle approach every time we have one of those days...

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Please feel free to leave a note.

13 comments:

  1. I love this. What a great reminder for getting through THOSE days. I have a 13 mo DS. Some days we both seem so frazzled and unable to communicate and then I remember to slow down, breathe, and get on his side. By the end of the day we both seem so content with each other. Thanks for your post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Mandy! I think this is a post I should return to read more often myself :) It doesn't always work, but most of the time it works wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This left me feeling so inspired! It related to an earlier incident with my six year old and now I feel empowered when confronted with these emotions. I was going to say behavior, but after hearing your story I don't believe whining is a behavior.. It is such an Aha Moment! Thank you for sharing your life with others!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Connection is key, no matter what the age. I reckon it would solve a lot of adults' problems too. Thanks for sharing this so coherently. I'm going to pass this on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very impressive. I agree that a calm and centered self makes all the difference in facing these moments and being able to push one´s irritation aside. I just wish I was able to re-center myself with such discipline, the grating tone of whining usually penetrates my consciousness before I remember to do that. A favorite spot like your deep breath chair sounds like a good way to accomplish this. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a good reminder, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sweet. I too, do much better when well-rested and centered, of course. I struggle mightily with personal connection with each of my 3-year-old twins. Every opportunity for bonding or close connection is turned chaotic because there are two and they are SO close. My biggest challenge is to throw out my expectations for these moments and accept that our moments of bonding will not look like I'd like them to—like I think they "should"—and just keep trying again and again to connect with them individually despite intense frustration. So, so hard. Love the designated chair idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, throwing out expectations is such a big turning point, one I have to return to over and over again! It's great you have that awareness.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful!! Thank you for reminding! I guess we are travelling the same road...The great thing about the internet is that things stay there...and we find them just when we need them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exactly! Love this 'slice-of-life' look at how connection helps both us and our little ones through these normal phases of childhood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A few days ago, I lost my cool and said my daughter's name with firmness when she was whining. It was driving me crazy. She is only 19 months old and she cried. I felt terrible. I had not centred myself and I forgot to be the wonderful mother I can be. Thank you for your post. I will print it and put it beside my desk to remind me how to deal with those difficult moments. Thank you very much for helping me to re-focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm touched! Go easy on yourself, we can't be perfect all the time. In fact, this reality helps our kids learn to be more compassionate with themselves, too :)

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing Mamammalia. It's wonderful to read about positive and supportive approaches to various challenges we face as mums. My little one's been going through this recently, so reading your post was really timely. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete