Pages

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Honoring Mothers on Mother's Day

There was a time when I felt I had to do something huge in this world in order to make a difference. I thought I had to go out into the world, stir things up, start a company, become an activist, become influential. I thought only famous people could contribute to lasting global change.  I thought it took credentials, prestige, connections, and a really great CV.

Then I became a mother and I began to see the truth. Parenting is the most important contribution an individual makes to the world. Mothers in particular have an influence on their child that is more profound and long-lasting than almost any other.  In the world of animals, there is no social bond stronger than the maternal-offspring bond among mammals. As a biologist,  I knew that was true on an intellectual level, but it took becoming a mother myself to recognize the real significance of that fact.  Certainly, all those famous and important people are essential to improving the planet.  But parents  -- and especially mothers -- play a critical role in what the world will look like tomorrow... a world filled with their offspring.

Today, I am honored to have this great responsibility. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for realizing the truth and stating it. :) Parenting is an undefinable contribution to the world. And amazingly we get to choose just how we contribute. I sometimes marvel at the fact that we can just have kids without any previous training required. I am also grateful to be a mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, thank you for your comment. It's encouraging to hear from someone who truly appreciates the importance of motherhood...and the importance of ongoing "training" for it!

    ReplyDelete